+
C-rappy Cacophony

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Capote


:: rogerebert.com :: Capote

Watched this movie yesterday,after rejecting some of my friends' coaxing to see 'Harry Potter'!For some reason,I didn't enjoy the previous Harry Potter movies,as I have never really liked unbelievable stories/supernatural acts in movies somehow feel it all appeals only to the kids who still believe that theres a guy called SantaClaus. Well,its my personal opinion and am sure its not the way the majority think,going by the crowds I saw in the theatres yesterday.

Coming to the movie "Capote",I just had a glimpse of the ratings that the movie had at IMDB.COM and the movie tab on the google personalized homepage. All the reviews painted a picture as if it was one of the greatest movies,American cinema were to produce!Few minutes into the movie,it did seem that it was a movie intended solely for the purpose of sending some entries to the Oscars.Phillip Seymore as Capote,threw a very vivid portrayal of the author Capote,which screamed every scene of his attempts to gain an Oscar this time.I have seen him act as a supporting actor in many movies,but this was the first time I saw him don a full length role.

It was really an uninspiring movie for me and my friend,who conveniently dozed off half way into the movie.The silent setting of the movie and the slow pace at which it went,made the theatre hall seem like a haunted place.At one point of time,I had to wake my friend from his deep sleep,as his snoring sound started attaining higher decibel than the movie's background sound.
Such was the eerie silence in the hall,partly due to the fact that there were only 15 or 20 people seated in a probably 200 seater hall.

After coming home,I did some googling and found out that Capote was one of the greatest American writers,widely acclaimed for his writing in the 1960's about his description of a chilling murder in his book "In cold blood".He is one such person,whose profession took a toll on his personal life,as his involvement with the murderers to gain insight into the gruesome killings,in order to recount in his book,filled him with remorse and helplessness in helping them out.

The movie would have been a masterpiece to someone who has already read the original book by Capote.But for someone like me who just heard that name - Capote, the first time when it was shown on the screen,it was a totally confusing 2 hours.There seemed to be no justification for the emotional drama that was depicted.Phillip Seymore's expressions and emotions seemed to convey as if the murderers were innocent,which was totally ridiculous.The main incident of the murder was totally masked and all that was shown was the irritating affectated speech of Seymore and his gayness.

The movie is like one of those "President award" winning movies shown in Doordarshan on Sunday afternoons!Worth watching once but not going to stick in one's mind for a long time.I wonder why I even took pains to write this much about a movie I disliked.I guess,its just to save a snapshot of my boredom.

-Raapi


Posted by rajesh |


« Home | Survey: employees steal office supplies » //-->





Yes, I slept during Capote, and I insisted my husband that I wouldnt go for HP. literally slept. I got up 1/2 hour before the movie ended.
You must watch "In cold blood" - to understand Capote. I watched "In.." and that is a class apart. That is why i even insisted on seeing Capote. But this was a big dissapointment and utterly boring.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous #  

~Oo°~

Glad to know that someone else too had the same feeling abt the movie :)
Shall try to watch 'In cold blood' sometime.
-Raapi

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous #  

~Oo°~

Yes, "In.." would tell you the justification behind Capote's stand/ sympathy towards the killers. If you observed, after killing 4 people, the killers got out with some 80 bucks, thats it ...
Here we assume or tend to have a minset about criminals and associated behaviour - by reading the newspaper or any other reporting entity. "In..." will kinda break that and Capote is someone who experienced it first hand - nevertheless, the movie Capote was boring.
(prob this is that famous "assumption over intellect" or something of that sort - Nilu says that often -I think i means "nothing" - another favorite of his!
- Same anon.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous #  

~Oo°~

Add a comment:

Name
Website   Html allowed : <a>, <b>, <i>

 


 © C-rappy Cacophony 2005 - Powered by Blogger Templates for Blogger