+
C-rappy Cacophony

Friday, October 08, 2004

Who's the Black Sheep ?

I was just wondering why my mind totally refuses to accept someone like Vijay - the current hero of Kollywood,as an established actor.Why is it that everytime when I see his face,I am reminded of some normal roadside guy,without any charisma or attribute that would command any attention from any age group?Why is it that his dialogue delivery and the disgusting antics in the name of the so-called comedy never appeal to me?

This is what I came up with.Although my views might sound absurd due to a very small example set,indicating a biased towards colour,I feel I am not the person to be blamed.It is just that I have been forced to grow up under such a biased environment of moviemaking.All through my existence,which spans around 26 years,I have observed that both the Tamil and Hindi filmworld has predominantly featured actors/heroes who are fair and well-built.

To site some examples,lets take the Hindi movies..
Amitabh Bachan
Jitendra
Vinod Khanna
All the Kapoors..
All the Khans..
Sanjay Dutt
Amir Khan
Rajesh Khanna
Mithun Chakravarty

Ok..lemme stop here and givey'all the link to self assess what I am trying to say .

And in the case of tamil movies..
Gemini Ganesan
Sivaji Ganesan
M.G.R
S.S.R
Muthuraman
Sivakumar
Nagesh
Kamalakassan
Karthik
Vikram
etc etc

Now coming to the exceptions..
Jackie Shroff, in Hindi and Prabhu Deva,Manoj,Vijay...and Of course Rajinikanth/Vijayakanth in tamil.

-One observation is that around 80% of both the Hindi and Tamil films have featured only this breed of Fair males.I was wondering why the films of yesteryears,i.e the 1970s and the 1980s stuck with this biased view over skin colour?

-Another observation is that the few dark-skinned actors that belong to this new age either are sons of prominent directors/actors/Dance masters(Vijay/Manoj/Prabhu Deva/Vivek Oberoi)

-Only Rajinikanth and Vijayakanth seem to stick out of the masses due to their individuality and the reputation they have built over the years.

-This kind of a thought process,when used against the heroines becomes even more interesting.I can't remember a single dark skinned Hindi actress!In the case of Tamil,some of the actresses like Saritha/Sneha actually capitulated due to their dark skin and wonderful eyes.

So,ultimately,my question comes down to..
Does skin colour determine the success of an actor/actress?Do the fans across Tamil and Hindi tinsel world,have a preference for fair-skinned actors over the dark-skinned ones?

-Raapi







Posted by rajesh |


« Home | Congrats to my best friend... » //-->





Add a comment:

Name
Website   Html allowed : <a>, <b>, <i>

 


 © C-rappy Cacophony 2005 - Powered by Blogger Templates for Blogger