+
C-rappy Cacophony

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Rupee becoming Costly!!

On my visit to India,6 months ago,I found it hard to come to terms to the fact that I was able to get only 45 rs for every U.S$,which I considered pretty low than the 50 rs that I paid to get U.S$ when I left to the U.S 3 years before.But then I think I would be put to a greater shock when I go this December to India.For the past 4 years,I had always equated the dollar to be about 50 rupees and going by the recent surge in the rupees' worth,I think it would stand at 40rs to a dollar very soon.I am basing my views based upon this news report I saw today-rupee vs $$$!
Though this phenomenon is a good factor for the Indian economy,It certainly hurts the NRIs.For us out here,rupee has become costlier.We would be able to buy lesser Indian money with the U.S money which in turn correlates to the costlier Indian commodities.Although it makes no sense to argue about the surging rupee,it does seem awkward to realize that only one or two sections of the Indian population is actually responsible for all this hullabaloo .The salaries of the software professionals has leaped manifolds in the past few years and the investments from NRIs and foreign Institutional Investors has propelled this sudden show of might by the Indian Rupee.I wonder how the common non-software/non-NRI man is able to survive in this ever-increasing,totally hyped economic scenario in India.The weak and poor segments of the population have no possibility of matching the rich and the disparity between the affluent and the poor is going to increase by a large extent.There is no overall development of all walks of life in India.I still find the old ragged cobbler sitting next to the teashop near the bus-stand and the rickshaw puller haggling for the extra rupee from his fat,non-relenting customer.
Speaking in layman's terms,sometimes I feel.."To hell with the dollar or the rupee!!I just still want to get a coffee for 2 rs/a plate of Idly-vada for 5 rs/a cool town bus ride from Mandeveli to Parry's Corner for 2 Rs!Will that ever be possible?"
-Raapi


Posted by rajesh |


« Home | For the cruciverbalist junta.. » //-->





Add a comment:

Name
Website   Html allowed : <a>, <b>, <i>

 


 © C-rappy Cacophony 2005 - Powered by Blogger Templates for Blogger