+
C-rappy Cacophony

Monday, February 16, 2004

Kalyana samayal Saadham....

I was recently watching some program on the National Geographic channel which dealt with the extinction of some animal species a few hundred years ago.It also spoke of some animals which exist today but which are expected to go down in history as yet another species which got extinct.I was thinking on the same lines yesterday and tried to draw a parallel into the human society.Although this analogy seems to be so vague and kind of unrelated to the above concept of a species disappearance,it did being in a sense of fear and sorrow when I started dwelling deeper into it.
I was just thinking about the diminishing breed of ladies adept with the traditional culinary styles.I am reminded of the entire gamut of unique food varieties that my grandmother is/was well-versed in preparing.Being a Palghat brahmin I was fortunate enough to be exposed to the cooking culture of both the Kerala and tamil brahmins.Every preparation had a unique approach to it rendering a taste which had the charm of staying well-etched in one's memory.There were some sweets and savories that used to be made at Grandma's place,even thinking of some of them brings back the sense of smell and delicious taste.
I shall try to name a few here but the list is endless.Maida cake,Pal covaa,kadala mittai,Gothuma Halwa,Poorna kuzhakattai,Poorna Bholi,Adhirasam,Badhusha,suhiyan,Vella Kuzhakattai,Upittu,Seedai,Murukku,Goad-belae,Nombu adai,ellu urundai,ravaa laddu,bhoondhi laddu,Ribbon pakoada,Thattai,Thaengozhal,Thaengaa Barfii,Mixture,,Oamapodi,Banana chips,Chakka chips,Naenthrapazham/chakka varati,Semiya Paayasam,Jevvarisi Paayasam,Neiyappam,Uppappam,Pori urundai,Ilantha mittai,Vella avil,Mysore paaku,Baadam halwa,Doodh Pedaa etc etc etc.
I am sure all the above mentioned items would have brought in fond memories to anyone who is reading this passage.I have no doubt that my Paati/her league or extra-ordinary old ladies, would be able to make any of the items that I have listed above to the ultimate perfection.But my subject of concern is when I realise that...My mom would not be able to make even half of what I have mentioned and the most worrying factor is that my sister/me or the current generation can't make even a single item in the list!The agony increases when I start thinking of other mundane stuff that is eaten daily at our homes- the Papadams,Moar-mulaga,Uurgai,Karuvadaams,Ilai-vadaams etc.I could envision how it is going to be in the year 2050.There would be only a very select few of this elite breed of adept cooks left and all these food varieties which were specially homemade with delicate attention would only be available at few of the Krishna Sweets and Grand Sweets!
I feel this is an area which is being neglected and is silently getting depleted.These world-renowned exotic breed of delicasies form a great part of the South Indian Brahmin's cultural heritage. It is pitiable and horrible to realise that it will soon- in a few decades, be a subject of history!Cooking is an art which can only be naturally inherited from one's mother or grand mother through the years of consistent learning.Anybody claiming to be a great chef, having acquired a degree in cooking from one of those innumerous Culinary related colleges ,would certainly make a lousy cook.
I sincerely wish that the current generation,mainly the female community try to acquire as much information as possible from their erudite mothers and grand mothers and try to replenish the paucity of the traditionally trained cooks.
-Raapi


Posted by rajesh |


« Home | .............. » //-->





Add a comment:

Name
Website   Html allowed : <a>, <b>, <i>

 


 © C-rappy Cacophony 2005 - Powered by Blogger Templates for Blogger