+
C-rappy Cacophony

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Rangoli !!

Bol Rae Papihara started it off!!Thanks to one of my great friends,my penchant for Hindi Movie songs got rekindled recently.Before I go about with this blog,I wanna express my sincere thanks to this ardent afficianado of Hindi film music,who seems to be dedicated,devoted and whatnot to it :)
Sunday mornings have changed a big deal.It never was the same as today's 'sleep like a dog till noon' 15 years ago,when my Sunday mornings started off promplty around 7 a.m with 'Rangoli'!

Appa was fond of old Hindi movie music and watching Rangoli seemed to be a weekly ritual in our household,with me sitting on my 'kutty' cane chair and sister sitting on appa's lap as we sipped our hot 'little decoction' coffees and listened to appa hum to some of the renditions!

My faint memory still reminds me of the standard format that Rangoli followed,with 70 to 80% old hindi movie songs with the last 1 or 2 songs from the latest movies!As the other houses in our apartment blared with other tamil programs,we made sure we shut the doors real tight to enjoy the blissful Hindi music,which I doubt if any other family would have ever watched/heard!

I was able to follow Hindi very well from my childhood since it happened to be my second language all through my schooling!Infact I am one of those tamilians who never studied tamil,but then gathered enough knowledge to read the 'kumudam' jokes and name-plates on buses!

Anyways,I stumbled upon this golden opportunity to revisit the past when I listened to some old Hindi songs on the behest of my frend.
Here are some of those song that I heard and my views.

Do sitaron ka Zamin par milan :)
I liked the slowness in the song and the way it was sung as if the singers had all the time in the world on their hands!!

"Mohabbat ki jhooti kahani pe royae...badi chot khaayee jawaani pae royae" :((
Simple sad facts stated in a very mild manner!Loved Latha Mangeshkar's tender young voice!

I listened to Pyar Kiya tho Darna kya from the latest re-release version of Mughal-E-Azam,but seemed to relate from better with the old classic version :
"Pyaar kiya tho darna kyaa?jab Pyaar kiya tho darna kyaa?
Pyaar kiyaa koyi chori nahii kii!!jab Pyaar kiya tho darna kyaa?
Chupp Chupp Aahae Barna Kyaa?" :-{)

">abhi naa jao chod kar..yeh dhil abhi bharaa nahii...
abhi abhi tho aayi hoa..bahaar bankae chaayee hoa..Havaa zara mehek tho laen..Nazar jaraa bahak tho laen..Yeh shaam dal tho lae Zaraa..Yeh dhil samal tho lae Zara..!" :-})
This song was ultimate...How I wish....hmm..Never mind..Next song!

">Jahaan mein aisaa koun hai..ke jisko gham milaa nahii??
thumhaarae pyaar ki kasam..thumhaara gham hai meraa gham!!" :-{{(((
-Superb song...got goosebumps when i followed the meaning of the
song..the way the females cries/tries to make her guy realise...she
really wants to share joy/sorrows..too good!!

"Yeh zindagi Usiiki hai..jo kisii kaa hoa gayaa...pyaar hii mae khoa
gayaa..!!" :)

I observed few things..
Most of the songs give importance to the lyrics unlike the new songs
which focus on drums/beats/rythms only..
Most of the songs in a movie are by females(read as Latha Mangeshkar) :)
Most of the songs have the words 'Pyaar' 'Ishq' 'Zindagi' 'Mohabbat' 'Chaand' :)
Most of the songs are based on situations where the female tirelessly
tries and tries again to explain her love .
The songs are quite easy/pleasant to reproduce,I mean,excellent ones
for both budding male and female singers who would like to hone their
vocal skills ...
The songs seem to be short and the lines seem to repeat again and
again,but then still managing to keep the listener enraptured by it.

Hope some of you atleast enjoyed this small odyssey into the past!I sure enjoyed it a lot and this post shall help me revisit many many more times with just a few clicks!
-Raapi


Posted by rajesh |


« Home | damn..!! » //-->





Add a comment:

Name
Website   Html allowed : <a>, <b>, <i>

 


 © C-rappy Cacophony 2005 - Powered by Blogger Templates for Blogger